Kaya ousts Nomads with 10-1 mauling

By Ivan Saldajeno

MANILA--Kaya went on a tear in the first half of its UFL Cup Round of 16 match against Nomads and cruised to a 10-1 win on Thursday night at the Rizal Memorial Stadium.

Tishan Hanley scored four of the top-seeded club's goals, while O.J. Porteria added three more including a quick kill to lead its offensive.

Porteria only needed ten seconds before striking Kaya's opening goal, but it was canceled by Fedrico Rabaya a little more than six minutes later.

Hanley gave Kaya the lead back after scoring in the tenth minute and began the blowout with his second goal after a minute.

Porteria converted his own brace by scoring off an assist from Diego Barrera in the 28th minute.

Barrera got his reward for the assist by drilling one goal for Kaya in the 33rd minute even as Hanley, the who fed Barrera for the strike, completed his hat trick in the 42nd to cap a 6-1 Kaya surge in the opening 45 minutes.

Kaya appeared to have slowed down in the second half, particularly when Nomads' substitute keeper Enrique Ortiz checked in for Joshua Cruz.

But Porteria stunned Ortiz with a rocket goal in the 51st minute for the completion of his hat trick.

Defender Aly Borromeo even joined the scoring parade as he headed in a 76th minute attack, while Hanley capped his scoring spree with an 80th minute goal after the Nomads defenders failed to clear the ball out after a good stopping effort.

Chris Greatwich put the icing on the cake with a free kick goal in the 84th minute.

Playing with only 14 men in the lineup, Nomads went down to nine players on the field after Christian Dahl was handed a red card in the 72nd minute and Christian Tolete went down in cramps a little later in the match.

Even Coach Eric Antoine got an early exit as he was asked by the referee to step out of the playing court for continuous complaining.

Meanwhile, Kaya will be a man down in its quarterfinal match against the winner of the Voltes-Pasargad match as Jorge Butron was also slapped with a red card for a post-game commotion against Ahmed Hwedi, who likewise also got a red.