Header Ads Widget

Dubai a possible PBA All-Star venue says Narvasa

Nuki Sabio/PBA (file photo)
By Ivan Saldajeno

MANILA--The PBA could stage its All-Star Weekend outside the Philippines next year.

PBA Commissioner Chito Narvasa revealed on Monday that the group which organizes the annual games in Dubai expressed its intent to host the mid-season classic in the said Arab emirate for the 2016 edition.

“Dubai is interested, and there are many others from the local side," Narvasa said, further baring that a group from Baguio and the city government of Cagayan De Oro are among those which also wanted to bring the All-Star festivities in their places.

With that, Narvasa built a committee that will tackle the hosting intents of each potential venue.

"So we’ve formed a committee that will evaluate the best opportunity for the PBA. They will make the recommendation which we will bring up to the PBA board,” the commissioner continued.

Deputy Commissioner Rickie Santos, assistant to the commissioner Pita Dobles, Media Bureau Chief Willie Marcial, and Business Development Director Rhose Monreal make up the said committee.

Should the committee and the board agree on accepting the Dubai offer, this will become the first time in league history that the All-Star Weekend, which has been touring various Philippine cities annually since 2004, will take place overseas.

The league held ten matches in Dubai via annual back-to-back sets since 2011, and the Al-Wasl Sports Club had been packed to the rafters in each of those games.

Follow him on Twitter: @IvanSaldajeno