Header Ads Widget

Scoring spree highlights Ang Liga return

By Dugout Philippines

MANILA--A goal fest saw Ateneo-B, NU-B, UP-A, and Lyceum all picking up three points on Sunday at the continuation of Ang Liga play at the La Salle Science and Technology Stadium in Biñan.

In the curtain-raiser, the Blue Eagles had to grind out a 1-0 win over Malayan Colleges Laguna for their first win in Division 2.

Ryan Herrera netted the lone goal of the game at the 70th minute to bounce back from their shocking loss on opening day against Don Bosco Technical College.

The Greywolves, however, were brought back to earth by NU-B with the Bulldogs scoring a 6-1 win to retain their status as the division’s top side.

Robert Wilson opened the scoring just 40 seconds into the game which was then cancelled out by Jose Antonio Morada in the 19th minute.

But the parity will only last for just nine minutes as NU poured two more goals in the space of five minutes through Joshua Broce (28’) and Kent Talam (33’) to put them 3-1 up at the break.

NU continued their charge in the second half with goals by Khalil Jikiri (61’), Pyke Jinoy (76’) and Bryan Ibañez (86’) securing their second win in another emphatic fashion.

Meanwhile, UP-A and Lyceum took all three points in Division 1 as Popoy Clariño’s teams came from deficits to win their respective games.

Fresh from his stint as Marlon Maro’s deputy in Malaysia and filling in for Anto Gonzales, Coach Popoy and the Fighting Maroons summoned their strength in the second half to deal the Bulldogs' Team A its first loss of the season, coming from two goals down in the first 45 minutes in a 3-2 win in a match between the two UAAP sides.

Mari Aberasturi’s men were certain to score another sweep in their scheduled doubleheaders like they did two weeks ago, when Francis Mbei put the Bulldogs in front just three minutes into the game.

But things got heated before half-time when the referee awarded a penalty for NU, causing a temporary stoppage much to the dismay of the UP side.

Lawrence Colina then sent Anton Yared the wrong direction to double their lead at the half.

However, UP then mounted a comeback at the restart with Kyle Magdato and Fidel Tacardon scoring in the 65th and 66th minute respectively to peg the game back on equal terms.

Then Kintaro Miyagi won it from close range to seal the comeback win and score their second consecutive win, putting them on top of the table by the virtue of goal difference.

Later in the afternoon, Clariño masterminded Lyceum’s hijack of UST, coming in from a goal down to snatch the win away from Marjo Allado’s Growling Tigers in a battle of both teams that won their first game of the season last Aug. 13 in San Beda.

Dexter Benecio put the defending Ang Liga champions in front in the 25th minute from close range to go 1-0 up at the break.

But the lead would not last long in the second half when Lucino Lansang equalized off a corner just four minutes into the restart.

Then substitute Dan Paul Alegre then stole all three points in the 62nd minute, concluding his blitzing run in the UST half with a left footed curler to go along with idle San Beda as the remaining unbeaten teams in Division 1.

UST attempted to equalize ten minutes later, but Ian De Castro muffed his chance with a wide open miss to condemn them to their second loss of the season after their first three games.

Follow the site on Twitter: @DugoutPH