By Dugout Philippines
MANILA—The NCAA Management Committee (MANCOM) unanimously approved a cash donation of P100,000 to the province of Batanes after a devastating 5.9 magnitude earthquake late last month.
NCAA MANCOM chairman Peter Cayco said Monday that it is in line with the league’s advocacy, and that the financial assistance will be turned over to Batanes provincial officials led by its governor Marilou Cayco on Saturday during halftime of the Letran College and San Beda University encounter at the Cuneta Astrodome in Pasay City.
“What we are doing is part of the NCAA advocacy, and the oldest collegiate tournament in the country, as an institution, has helped our fellow Filipinos in need, especially those affected by calamities,” said Cayco.
“The other member schools have already done their part, and this time, as one family, the NCAA is extending its assistance to help Batanes,” added Cayco of 95th NCAA Season host Arellano University.
Letran’s MANCOM representative Fr. Vic Calvo made the proposal during its meeting last Thursday hosted by Paul Supan during the NCAA ‘on tour’ game at the Jose Rizal University.
Batanes suffered damage on houses and historical structures, including the old Santa Maria de Mayan Church in Itbayat.
The earthquake also resulted to nine fatalities, while 911 families, or 2,963 individuals were affected by the disaster and had an estimated damage amounting to P292 million by the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH).
In the past, the league has extended support to calamities, like the victims of typhoons Yolanda and Ondoy, the tragedy during the Marawi siege.
It also provided help to basketball legend Samboy Lim, a former Letran Knight.
Follow the site on Twitter: @DugoutPH