|The San Miguel-Magnolia game on March 8, the only match played so far this PBA season, took place at the Smart Araneta Coliseum in Quezon City, a potential venue of a planned bubble for the resumption of play. PBA Images (file photo)|
By Ivan Saldajeno
MANILA—Count the PBA among the list of leagues which may resume its season inside a bubble.
PBA board chairman Ricky Vargas revealed on Tuesday that the league is now considering to have all the 12 teams convened in just one place just for its season to finally continue after a long layoff brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The TNT governor said during the online Philippine Sportswriters Association Forum that following the so far positive feedback on the bubble put up by the NBA in Orlando, the PBA can see it as the only option if it wants the league to push through.
"My own feeling as chairman is that we do not have a choice. May model na eh. We should just go ahead and look forward to the time na maglalaro na tayo, whether it's the NBA way or a more innovative way," Vargas said.
He later bared that some venues are now being considered as the place for the PBA bubble.
"We're looking into Inspire [Sports Academy], yung sa NU sa Calamba, Araneta [Coliseum] kasi may mga hotels naman beside that. We're even looking to as far as Clark," Vargas continued.
Commissioner Willie Marcial further revealed, "Kahapon, pinagalaw ko na si Deputy Commissioner Eric Castro. Nagtanong na kami sa mga lugar tulad ng Batangas at Subic."
Marcial hinted that the potential Batangas bubble will be held inside a school campus and the potential Subic bubble will be at a golf course.
Marcial then said that he will present the bubble proposal to the PBA board, and the board can decide the best option about it.
The PBA is looking to resume its season by mid-October.
Follow him on Twitter: @IvanSaldajeno_