|After a "mutual agreement", Kai Sotto is not going to return to Ignite. FIBA (file photo)|
MANILA--Kai Sotto's supposed first season as a pro ended with him not even playing a single game at all.
The NBA G-League announced on Tuesday that the seven-foot-three beanpole is not joining the Ignite professional pathway program in the ongoing league bubble in Orlando.
"NBA G-League Ignite and international prospect Kai Sotto of the Philippines today announced the mutual decision that Sotto will not re-join Ignite," the G-League said in a statement.
Sotto arrived last week in Orlando after briefly joining Gilas Pilipinas Men in their bubble training in Calamba ahead of the FIBA Asia Cup Qualifiers third window in hopes of joining Ignite again.
Last month, Sotto made a huge announcement that he will be joining Gilas Men in the third window of the ACQ, putting his G-League bubble stint in peril as the original schedule falls within the season calendar.
Gilas Men, however, ended their bubble training following the postponement of the supposed ACQ bubble in Doha after the said city begged off from hosting due to a spike in COVID-19 cases there.
This prompted Sotto to return to the United States to possibly rejoin Ignite once he clears the mandatory quarantine.
However, the G-League announcement dashed the said hopes.
"Kai and the team both understood the challenges for him to rejoin Ignite given the international travel constraints, quarantine times, and health and safety protocols," G-League commissioner Shareef Abdur-Rahim said.
The former NBA star hinted that Sotto has just left the team as well.
"Kai will always be a part of the extended Ignite family, and we wish him continued success as he pursues his NBA dreams," Abdul-Rahim added.
Follow him on Twitter: @IvanSaldajeno