MANILA--The second season of the WNBL will soon get to take its full shape as the new expansion team that will join is about to begin its buildup.
NBL executive vice president Rhose Montreal said on Thursday that the league will formally announce the entry of the new club very soon.
"We'll definitely be announcing in the next few days for the tryout for that new team," Montreal said.
The team will primarily base its tryout from those who were not selected in the WNBL Draft last week.
Seventy-seven players were left out of the draft out of 115 aspirants and are now considered unrestricted free agents.
While the announcement of the new team is expected to happen over the weekend, Montreal hinted, "[It is] waiting to get the final resolution from the city council as this incoming team is [a] city-owned team."
The formal entry of the expansion will increase the number of teams in the WNBL season, its first as a de jure professional league, to six.
While it may seem like a small number, Montreal said that it is fine as long as the team owners and managers maintain an excellent handling of the clubs.
"We're really very careful because we want to have team owners who can deliver all deliverables to our players since this is a professional league already. We wanna make sure that they are financially capable and have the experience to run a professional team," she further quipped. "We're not here for quantity but we're here for quality team owners."
Follow him on Twitter: @IvanSaldajeno