|Demetrious Johnson was supposed to take on Rodtang Jitmuangnon in the special main event of ONE: X prior to its postponement. ONE Championship (file photo)|
MANILA--ONE Championship's grand event to cap 2021 has been called off.
ONE chief executive officer Chatri Sityodtong announced on Wednesday night that ONE: X will be moved to early 2022.
Although the said fight card, which should have been the promotion's grand celebration of its 10th year anniversary, is scheduled to take place on Dec. 5, Sityodtong decided to call it off for the meantime as early as now following a huge spike in COVID-19 cases in Singapore.
The city-state tallied its worst single-day COVID-19 increase on Oct. 19 when 3,994 new cases have been confirmed.
In its last update on Tuesday, Singapore tallied 3,277 more for a total of 179,105 and a seven-day average of 3,481.
"Due to the record high viral outbreak in Singapore, ONE: X will now take place early next year instead of December 5," Sityodtong said in a statement through his Facebook page.
If a report by Nick Atkin of the South China Morning Post last month is to be believed, Denice Zamboanga would have faced Ham Seo-Hee again in the said card.
According to the said news, ONE was scheduling a quick rematch between Zamboanga and Ham at ONE: X following the controversial finish to their first meeting at ONE: Empower.
But even without the Zamboanga-Ham 2, ONE: X remains to be a stacked one with two world title fights and a special attraction never before seen inside a mixed martial arts cage.
Thanh Le is scheduled to defend his ONE featherweight title against Garry Tonon, while Bibiano Fernandes stakes his bantamweight belt against John Lineker.
The main event will feature a mixed rules showdown that will see Demetrious Johnson trying his luck at kickboxing and Tinnakorn "Rodtang Jitmuangnon" Srisawat playing MMA at the same time.
Sityodtong that further announcements for the said event would be made in the coming days.
"ONE: X is not only a celebration of our tenth year anniversary, but it is also going to be the biggest event in our history," he further said. "I cannot wait to unveil what else we have in store for fans with ONE: X. Stay tuned for more exciting news!"
Meanwhile, Sityodtong said that he is still commending the Singaporean government for its COVID-19 efforts despite the latest spike in cases.
"The Singapore government continues to do an extraordinary job in managing the situation for the country. I am full of gratitude and appreciation for its incredible leadership and excellence," he further stated.
Sityodtong added that the other shows for November and December will push through as scheduled.
Two cards are scheduled to air next month, the last two installments of the ONE: NextGen series, but both events will be recorded this Friday before the live ONE: NextGen 1 broadcast.
Follow him on Twitter: @IvanSaldajeno