Chot Reyes not ruling out tapping PBA stars for FIBA WCQ February window

Chot Reyes not ruling out tapping PBA stars for FIBA WCQ February window

There is a chance that the likes of RR Pogoy would make their Gilas return for the FIBA WCQ. PBA Images (file photo)
By Ivan Saldajeno

MANILA—There is a possibility that Gilas Pilipinas might tap PBA players again for the February window of the FIBA World Cup Qualifiers at the end of the month.

Returning Gilas coach Chot Reyes said on Tuesday that he is not ruling out seeking help from PBA stars as the national team goes on a four-game home stand in five nights from Feb. 24-28 at the Smart Araneta Coliseum in Quezon City.

"It's too early to tell, but I don't think that's out of the picture. That has to be considered now," the concurrent TNT head coach said in his first televised interview back as Gilas tactician on One Sports' The Game.

Reyes, however, clarified that turning to the PBA is not really his plan only that according to him there are only seven players left available for practice from the Gilas pool that played in the final window of the FIBA Asia Cup Qualifiers last year in Angeles due to some of the key players currently seeing action overseas.

"Today, they couldn't even put together a team," he rued.

For now, the primary focus of Reyes is on convening a training pool and a coaching staff in a short matter of time. 

"The short-term plan is to put a team together and find a way to assemble that can at least be competitive in three weeks time," Reyes further said.

Earlier in the day, he hinted that he is considering taking some Tropang Giga players to the pool.

Follow him on Twitter: @IvanSaldajeno

Disclaimer: Images, articles, or videos that exist here sometimes come from various sources of other media. Copyright is fully owned by the source. If there is a problem with this matter, you can contact us here.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Disqus Comments
© Copyright 2013 Dugout Philippines - All Rights Reserved